What are the most common tasks performed by a corporate programmer? There is a list posted here.
Particularly appropriate, in my mind are the following items from the list:
- Explaining downtime to users/higher ups
- Contributing solutions to strangers’ problems
- Searching for existing code that does what you want, maybe without knowing what that’s called
- Installing, configuring, and testing a codebase then finding it won’t work for you
- Googling error messages
- Figuring out how to shoehorn together codebases that weren’t designed to coexist